“If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.” – Angelina Jolie
I have had my share of traveling with friends and family. However, finally going on my very first solo journey made me appreciate why its important to experience solo travel at least once in your life. Here are my top 5 reasons:
- You can do whatever TF you want!– When you are traveling with a group, it seems like everyone has a different agenda. When traveling solo you get the choice to do whatever your little heart desires. There are no limits!
For example, I never felt rushed when I was site seeing and looking at things. I got to enjoy and savor every moment of my trip.
- Unlock your potential Traveling solo helps you figure out what kind of person you are. You never know what you are capable of achieving if you never put yourself out of the box. For example, I never thought I would be able to stay in a hostel dorm room with 5 strangers in a foreign country. I guess my ass was more capable than I thought! Just don’t try walking down any dark alleys or anything like that! You can see how brave you are, but make sure to not be too CRAY.
- Bucket-list- Everybody has one of these. The places they wish to travel, do, or see before they die. Since being by yourself you don’t have to wait for anyone else. You are accountable for checking off your own bucket-list. For example, learning baking from a French Chef from my dream school is one experience that I achieved for myself. The only person who would probably stop that from ever happening would’ve been myself. However, i’m proud to say: Bucket-list check!
- No Drama- “No drama” it’s basically a combination of 1, 2 and 3. Forget what is out of your control (i.e pickpockets, bad customer service, weather, etc.) If something doesn’t satisfy you, you can exit or avoid when necessary. I’m not saying there’s drama all the time. But being solo, lets you focus on making a trip fun for yourself. For example, I’ve been in big group trips with friends where people didn’t get along in the group. (I’m sure everyone has experienced this!) Their drama, became our drama. Sometimes it just ruins what should’ve been a good trip. When its you by yourself, you don’t have to deal with all that shit. Hence, Drama-Free. YAY!
- Ever Cliche “Self Journey”– Self explanatory. Learning to be your own best friend, If you are the type to be dependent, then solo travel is not for you! =If you decide to travel solo i just wanna say one thing.
YOU ARE ONE BAD MOTHER******
Actually, a “Self Journey” should be the NUMBER 1 REASON for solo travel. It is basically all of these 5 reasons. Because if you can’t handle you, then who else will? Traveling solo makes you aware and judge yourself on the good , the bad and ugly. You are one brave soul if you decide to go find yourself.
The best things for me about traveling solo at least once:
- New friends – The number one i’m grateful for!
- Old friends- Get to hang out with people I want to hang out vs. forcing people to hang out with people they arent comfortable with.
- Going with the flow
- You get to have an awesome story!
This has been one of the most awakening experience for me. I’m not against traveling with friends and family. However, sometimes its good to experience it once in a while!
Now that I have done it once, I’m already excited to go on my next solo adventure.